FORUM OF SCOTTISH LINE SOCIETIES
FOURTH SCOTTISH RAILWAY HISTORY CONFERENCE
QUEEN’S HOTEL, PERTH, SATURDAY 3 OCTOBER 2020
The Fourth Conference will offer a range of presentations on the theme of ‘Railways and Modernisation’. The provisional programme, timed to allow travel from as far afield as Elgin and Ayr by train, is :
- 10.00: Registration, tea and coffee
- 10.40: Introduction and Welcome
- 10.45: Jim Summers: ‘The Invention of ScotRail in the 1980s’
- 11.45: Ian Souter: ‘The Rises, Falls and Rises of Suburban Rail Services’
- 12.30: Buffet Lunch
- 13.30: Donald Peddie: ‘Upgrades on the Callander & Oban Line’
- 14.15: Andrew Boyd and Andrew Harper: ‘Glasgow Suburban Electrification and the Blue Trains’
- 15.00: Refreshments
- 15.30: John Ross: ‘Diesel Rail Buses Progress and Problems’
- 16.15: Ian Middleditch and Keith Fenwick: ‘Modernisation in Pictures, a photographic survey’
- 16.45: Conference Summary
- 17.00: Close
Attendance at the conference costs £23 per person, which includes morning and afternoon refreshments and buffet lunch. Dinner will cost an additional £30, payable with the conference fee. A refund can be made in respect of cancellations notified before 20th September but not thereafter.
The speaker at dinner (18.30 for 18.45) will be Steve Humphreys, Chairman, SRPS. It will finish in time to catch trains back to Edinburgh (via Kirkcaldy) at 21.06 and to Glasgow at 21.22 [times could possibly change from the May timetable]. The Queen’s Hotel is opposite Perth station. Overnight accommodation is currently available, with a number of rooms held at a favourable rate; mention the conference when booking.
To book, please download, print and complete the form using the link below and post it to Ian Middleditch at the address shown on the form.
A message from Keith Fenwick on the organising committee: “Obviously there will be concern at this time as to whether we will have recovered sufficiently from Coronavirus. Let us hope so. If the event has to be cancelled, the decision will be made in August which will allow any conference bookings to be refunded. If you are booking accommodation make sure you can cancel up to the end of August. By then we will all be needing to get together.”