An NBR station – Cameron Bridge – Courtesy Bill Lynn Collection
The NBR operated around 650 stations throughout Scotland and in northern England. Its principal station was Waverley in Edinburgh, which became the largest station in Scotland, occupying a site of 23 acres, with 11·5 acres covered with a glass roof. The main through up and down platforms extend to 1600ft in length and, together with the through suburban and terminal facilities, created platform accommodation allowing up to 23 trains to be handled at the same time.
Edinburgh Waverley Station east side, circa 1882-1885 (photographer George Washington Wilson) – Courtesy A Brotchie Collection